You may be surprised to find that there is quite a difference in quality when shopping for LED Christmas lights. From the retail or novelty products at your local big box store, to the commercial or premium grade products we offer, and everything in between.
Each year we get several emails from distraught consumers, about the defective LED Christmas lights they purchased from WalMart, or one of the other big box stores. The story is always the same – The consumer purchased the lights, paid double the cost of incandescent, and the lights stopped working in less than one year. Without fail, Walmart refers the customer to the manufacturer, with whom the customer has no relationship. (Apparently, WalMart gets their lights from “Holiday Time” and consumers think that that we are the manufacturer, because our name contains the word Holiday.) Unfortunately, the customer is probably not going to have much luck getting a replacement from “Holiday Time”, if they can find a way to contact them at all. And even if they can find them, they’ll probably have to pay to ship the lights back, and then pay return shipping for the replacement set (which will be of equally low quality).
So, what are the major differences between what we sell, and what you can find at your local big box store:
- All Product we sell, with the exception of the Color-Rite Line, will have 1-Piece Bulb Construction – For additional information on this benefit, please see our article One-Piece vs Two-Piece Construction Christmas Lights
- Color Consistency – White colors are specified and matched to samples we provide – Multi Color combinations will have even color distribution (all colors have the same amount of bulbs)
- Full-Wave Rectified – Higher Quality sets, that produce a flicker free, super bright, and consistent light output.
- Reliability – We have purchased from the same factories for over 10 years, and only purchase UL approved, RoHS compliant, and Energy Star labeled Products.
- Variety – Wide selection of bulb styles with over 20 color options, Green, Brown, and White Wire Options, and many more specialty products!
- Product Knowledge and Service – We can assist with: Selecting the right product for your project, Estimating the amount of product needed, Assisting with design/lay-out, and Can provide technical assistance or specifying. As with most things, you get what you pay for. Our LED Christmas lights cost more than what you’ll find at Walmart, or other big box retailers, but they will last. More importantly, if they don’t, you can just call us and we will gladly replace them. We stand behind our products. Our lights cost more, because they are higher quality, and we back them up with a strong warranty and outstanding customer service. At the end of the day, Walmart and similar stores, are charging consumers double for an LED product that has no chance of lasting much longer than an incandescent string light. So if you are looking for cheap, throw away Christmas lights, don’t waste your money on LEDs from the big box stores–buy the cheapest incandescent lights you can find, and at least you will get what you paid for.