Why you shouldn’t buy your LED Christmas lights at WalMartAugust 17, 2019
You may be surprised to find that there is quite a difference in quality when shopping for LED Christmas lights depending on where you purchase them. From the retail or novelty products at your local big box store, to the commercial or premium grade products offered here at Holiday LED’s, and everything in between.
Each year we get several emails from distraught consumers, about the defective LED Christmas lights they purchased from various big box stores. The story is always the same: the consumer purchases the lights, pays double the cost that they would for traditional incandescents, and the lights stopped working in less than one year. Without fail, the big box chain that they purchased their faulty lights from refer the customer to the manufacturer, with whom the customer has had no contact or relationship. (A large number of big box stores get their lights from “Holiday Time” and customers unfortunately believe that we are the manufacturer, because our name contains the word Holiday.) Unfortunately, the customer is probably not going to have much luck getting a replacement from “Holiday Time”, if they can find a way to contact them at all. And even if they can find them, they’ll probably have to pay to ship their lights back, and then pay return shipping for the replacement set (which will be of equally low quality).
So, what are the major differences in quality between the high quality LED lights and strings that are sold here, and what you can find at your local big box store:
- All Product we sell, with the exception of the Color-Rite Line, will have 1-Piece Bulb Construction – For additional information on this benefit, please see our article One-Piece vs Two-Piece Construction Christmas Lights
- Color Consistency – White colors are specified and matched to samples we provide – Multi Color combinations will have even color distribution (all colors have the same amount of bulbs)
- Full-Wave Rectified – Higher Quality sets, that produce a flicker free, super bright, and consistent light output.
- Reliability – We have purchased from the same factories for over 10 years, and only purchase UL approved, RoHS compliant, and Energy Star labeled Products.
- Variety – Wide selection of bulb styles with over 20 color options, Green, Brown, and White Wire Options, and many more specialty products!
- Product Knowledge and Service – We can assist with:
- Selecting the right product for your project
- Estimating the amount of product needed
- Assisting with design/lay-out
- Can provide technical assistance or specifying information
As with most things, you get what you pay for. Our LED Christmas lights cost more than what you’ll find at big box retailers, but they will last longer and be more energy efficient. More importantly, if they are not what we advertise, you can just call us and we will gladly replace them. We stand behind our products. Our lights cost more, because they are higher quality, and we back them up with a strong warranty and outstanding customer service. At the end of the day, big box stores, are charging consumers double for an LED product that has no chance of lasting much longer than an incandescent string or bulb. So if you are looking for cheap, throw away Christmas lights, don’t waste your money on LEDs from the big box stores–buy the cheapest incandescent lights you can find, and at least you will get what you paid for.
For more LED tips, tricks, and products, please visit us on our site here. If you are looking for even more of a reason to purchase your next lighting products from Holiday LED’s, if you join our mailing list now, you will receive a coupon good for 15% off of your next LED purchase.